Industrial Internet of Things for energy efficient assembly lines: One year down the road
During the first project year, the following steps have been achieved:
- We instrumented the factory floor at Vinyas with several sensing modalities at various critical locations.
- We have designed and deployed an appropriate communication network in the factory.
- We have identified a suitable data flow architecture and have deployed the information infrastructure.
- We have built a simulation model for the factory assembly line. Based on our explorations on this simulator, we have proposed a simple buffering scheme that provides a 3x reduction in energy consumption.
- We are conducting exploratory data analysis to come up with other interventions related to better inspection, better failure prediction, preventive maintenance, detection of anomalous stoppages, etc.