Interdisciplinary PhD Program in Cyber-Physical Systems
- Interdisciplinary Research: PhD at RBCCPS provides a unique opportunity to students to work on interdisciplinary problem with faculty from different departments and diverse areas including communication, control, machine learning, robotics, security, autonomous systems etc. Students are typically supervised jointly by two advisors from different disciplines.
- Right Balance of Theory and Hands-on Training: PhD at RBCCPS provides a solid theoretical grounding and strong experimental training. This balanced approach prepares you for solving problems at both fundamental and applied levels.
- Industry Exposure: via participation in industry – academia collaborative research projects.
- Entrepreneurship Opportunities: RBCCPS has established the Technology and Innovation Hub (ARTPARK) that focuses on fostering entrepreneurship. Students will get a unique opportunity to incubate your ideas through ARTPARK and translate their research into products that benefit the society.
- Attractive Fellowships: RBCCPS provides generous fellowships and travel grants to selective PhD students. Besides government funding, extensive funds from industry are also available.
- Exciting Careers: Graduates get attractive opportunities in innovation-driven industries and government research organizations. The program also prepares students to launch their academic career.
- Control and Optimization
- Mobile Robotics and Drones
- AI and Machine Learning
- Smart Grids
- Autonomous Systems
- IoT and Embedded Systems
- Data Analytics and Computing
- Security and Privacy
- Human Computer Interaction
- Formal Analysis and Verification
- Communication and Networking
Equipment & Facilities
- Asha – the Humanoid Robot
- Walking Robots
- Robotic Arms
- In-house Makery
- Drone Testbed
- 5G Autonomous Vehicle Testbed
- Warehouse Robotics Testbed
- ARTPARK – Technopreneurship Hub
- Autonomous Systems Park at Challakere Campus
Basic Qualifications for Eligibility
- BE / B Tech or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering, or
- MSc or equivalent degree in Physics/ Mathematics/ Electronics/ Statistics/ Computer Science/ Photonics, or
- Master in Computer Applications, or
- Bachelor of Science (4 year)
For more details on eligibility and Mode of Entries, please visit this LINK.
How to Apply Please visit the online application webpage – https://admissions.iisc.ac.in/
Application Deadline for August 2021 Admissions 31 March, 2021
- Interview shortlisting: All applications are reviewed, and candidates are selected for the interview round based on:
– Academic record for candidates with Master’s degree
– Qualifying exam scores/ranks for candidates with Bachelor’s degree
Criteria for shortlisting:
The merit criteria for shortlisting is based on 25% weightage for Undergraduate academic performance ,75% weightage for Graduate academic performance along with the cut-off for various categories(The cut-off marks may vary each academic year for every category)
The cut-off marks for GATE in each category decides the shortlisted candidates(The cut-off marks may vary each academic year for each category)
- Interview: Candidates are asked questions regarding basic engineering and mathematics topics, their academic and/or industry experience, and their plans and research preferences for PhD. The goal of the interview is to gauge the background, critical thinking capabilities, and enthusiasm of the candidates. Candidates who clear the interview round are admitted into the PhD program.
- Advisor Assignment: When students join the program, they are assigned their PhD advisor. The assignment is based on the mutual research interests of the students and the faculty.
- Courses: Students have to complete required course credits that range from 12 credits to 24 credits depending on their qualifying degree. Students take courses in consultation with their respective advisor(s), and they can take courses from any department at IISc.
- Comprehensive Exam: After completing the course requirements, students appear for their comprehensive exam. They are tested based on the course material and their research progress. Students who pass the exam are confirmed as PhD candidates.
- Thesis Submission and PhD Defense: Once students complete their research work, they submit their thesis followed by a PhD defense. Successful candidates are granted the PhD degree.
External Registration Programme (ERP)
Employees of institutions and industries involved in R&D or Faculty Members of colleges/universities can apply for a PhD under the ERP Program. For more details, visit this LINK